Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Is it okay to use shed control products meant for dogs on rats?

My ratties shed a lot, not so much that they have bald spots tho! I believe their food (Kaytee Fortified Diet) which is high in animal protein diet, can contribute to this?


so I'm trying to buy some Harlan Teklad Lab Blocks.





I also want to buy shedding control shampoo and conditioner and supplements meant for dogs. I was told before that it would be okay but I wanted to make sure :/Is it okay to use shed control products meant for dogs on rats?
Rats don't shed that much to require anything to aid the process. If you rat is shedding that much, it's mostly likely due to mites or lice. It can also be from too much protein, but Kaytee doesn't have too much protein, it has too much junk and toxins. Usually too much protein will cause excessive scratching, and sometimes small scabs from the scratchng, causing you to think it's mites. Not all rats have problems eating too much protein. I've found that only with my blue rats has this been a problem in the past.





You don't use things meant for dogs on rats. That's asking for trouble. Want to be safe? Get the Harlan lab blocks, toss out the Kaytee - or find something that does not contain Ethoxyquin (google it and spare me typing it all, or search on YA for more info). To be really safe you want to take the rats to the vet.Is it okay to use shed control products meant for dogs on rats?
i dont believe it is the kaytee food because i have a year and a half old rat that i feed kaytee to. i would still reccomend switching because your rat could be having an allergic reaction. if your rat is around two years old or older baldness is a sign of age just like with humans. If this is the case your rat will get less entergetic, he will be content to sit on your shoulder and be petted. hope this helps.
Poor diet will cause shedding but some shedding is natural. Kaytee is really bad food. I would get Blue Buffalo or some other kind of quality dog food while you wait for harlan tekklan, just make sure that the protein is around 18%. Too much protein can give them scabs and stuff.





do not use supplements or shampoo meant to stop dog shedding on the rats. That could make them very ill or kill them. if you don't like the shedding, when your rats die get hairless ones.
I'm not sure but i don't think it's ok. Just to make sure, go to petsmart or Petco and ask them. They will probably know. I think theres special shampoo for rats. I think I saw it at Petsmart.
No, rats are more like cats they lick themselves. Check for lice and mites. they will cause balding too!
no they will clean themselves

No comments:

Post a Comment